Reciprocity for Michigan CPL

Michigan resident with Michigan Concealed Pistol License (CPL) permit wishing to carry a concealed pistol in another state:

If you are a Michigan resident with a Michigan concealed pistol permit and want to carry your pistol into another state you are strongly encouraged to contact that state for information on their concealed pistol law. A Michigan CPL permit does not supersede any other state’s law or CCW requirements.

Non-residents of Michigan wishing to carry a concealed pistol in Michigan:

If you are a non-resident of Michigan with a valid concealed pistol permit from your home state, Michigan will recognize your permit. However, you must carry in conformance with any and all restrictions appearing on the permit. You are subject to Michigan’s concealed pistol law including but not limited to restrictions on where a concealed pistol may be carried. Please review the information provided on this website for further information.

Please visit the Department of Attorney General’s web site for concealed weapons overview and related information.

States that recognize Michigan CPL Permits:

  • Alabama
  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • Colorado
  • Delaware
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • Minnesota
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • New Mexico
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennsylvania
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Vermont (does not require carry permits by residents or non residents)
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming

Again, anyone traveling in one of these states needs to check their laws, which in many instances are available on that state’s website.Some states allow for the application for a temporary CCW permit issued by that state or local unit of government. Others exempt law enforcement officers.

States who do not recognize non resident permits are:

  • California
  • Connecticut
  • Hawaii
  • Illinois
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • Oregon
  • Rhode Island

Some states allow for the application for a temporary CCW permit issued by that state or local unit of government. Others exempt law enforcement officers.

Federal law expressly provides that persons may carry a firearm in their vehicles while traveling through another state provided that the possession of the weapon is legal in both the states of origin and destination and the weapon is unloaded and carried in the trunk of the vehicle or a locked container other than the glove box.



Proud Member of USCCA

Upcoming CPL Classes


JUNE 2nd--Masonic Lodge (Mason MI) New Location!!

JULY 13TH--Perry City Hall


CPL Classes time--> 8AM-5PM

18 over Welcome---All Experience Levels Welcome


We welcome all experience levels---Read our Facebook reviews and see why we have almost 500 perfect 5 star reviews!!  Come join our family


Contact Us

Facebook Reviews

Copyright © 2019 MidMichiganCPL